Sunday, June 28, 2009

June Cookie Carnival~ Strawberry Shortcake Cookies



I joined Cookie Carnival many, many moons ago, and to my utter shame this is my first post. My first cookie recipe is Strawberry Shortcake Cookies. This is a Martha Stewart recipe, and even though my cookies were extremely ugly, they were delicious! I halved the recipe, because I really wasn't sure if we would like them or not. Now I'm glad I halved it because there would've been 3 dozen of these little buttery gems with nuggets of fresh strawberries laying around and I would've eaten all of them! I followed the recipe to the letter, and my only complaint is that they didn't spread well. I think you can see from my photos they turned out quite small. I used a tablespoon sized cookie scoop, so I'm not sure what happened. Also, I didn't have any sanding sugar, so I just sprinkled on plain old granulated *after* they baked. I didn't want the sugar to burn. These tasted like sweet little biscuits. They weren't like any cookie I've ever had. I was expecting a shortbread type cookie but they weren't like that at all.



After all was said and done, these were really good! I would've never made them if not for Cookie Carnival, and I'm so glad I tried them, because I definitely want to make them again, but maybe with some peaches this time. So until next time....happy baking!

Strawberry Shortcake Cookies

Ingredients
Makes about 3 dozen
12 ounces strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (2 cups)
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
3 ounces (6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 cup heavy cream
Sanding sugar, for sprinkling
Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine strawberries, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 7 tablespoons granulated sugar in a large bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter, or rub in with your fingers, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cream until dough starts to come together, then stir in strawberry mixture.
Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment, spacing evenly apart. Sprinkle with sanding sugar, and bake until golden brown, 24 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool. Cookies are best served immediately, but can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day.

5 comments:

  1. I also made a 1/2 batch and was glad I did because they were so good.

    Anyway, congrats on making these, LOL. I know it's hard to keep up with all of the blogging events at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay for twilight tweets! I found you from pdubs site! cute blog! I just moved from southern pines NC to seattle wa...I miss NC!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I joined the Cookie Carnival like the first month it existed, I think. But I only played along a few months. The cookies were all ones I had no desire to make...flavor combinations and such that none of us would have eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i made these cookies too. I really liked them but I used dried strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm.... YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!!!! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete