Sunday, June 21, 2009

German Chocolate Cake, Cheesecake Style

I just love me some Paula Deen. I think she is the quintessential Steel Magnolia. She really surpassed some hardships to get where she is today, and she got very little help doing it. I have 2 of her cookbooks and love to watch her on Food Network. She cooks stuff that I grew up on and actually want to eat. Don't get me wrong, I love to try new foods,and I will try almost anything once. Almost. But there's just something about Fried Chicken and homemade biscuits. They get me every time.

This particular recipe I got from Paula's Website.It has tons of recipes and I happened on this one and decided to make it for the guys at the fire station. I tried a piece and and to be completely honest, I wasn't that impressed with it. I could tell it was a boxed mix, (I'm a cake snob. Sue me.;) and the cheesecake layer wasn't assertive enough for my liking. (I love me some cheesecake, too!) Also, and this was my mistake, but the icing recipe looked like it would make a huge amount, so I cut it in half. Don't do that. It was just barely enough, so If I do make this again, I will put the whole recipe on the cake.

Hubs had told the guys at the station I was bringing cake and they were waiting on me. I just love a guy who melts at home cooking, aren't' they the best?(My hubs does not melt at home cooking. He's happy with a microwaved hot dog. I guess I shouldn't complain.) But anyway, they loved it! They raved over and then one guy said how pretty it was! He obviously doesn't read food blogs.




So here it is: German Chocolate Cake, Cheesecake Style. And I know the picture is extremely pathetic, but I was in a hurry. Sorry. ;)

1 package (18-1/4 ounces) German Chocolate cake mix
Cream Cheese Filling:
2 Tsp Vanilla
2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten
Frosting:
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup butter, cubed (not margarine)
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups flaked coconut
1-1/2 cup chopped pecans
Directions
Prepare cake batter according to package directions; set aside. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Pour half of the cake batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Gently pour cream cheese mixture over batter. Gently spoon remaining batter over top; spread to edge of pan. Bake at 325° for 70-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. For frosting, in a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk, butter and egg yolks Cook and stir over medium-low heat until thickened and a thermometer reads 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla; fold in coconut and pecans. Cool until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cooled cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment